GnuCOBOL Debugging Extensions
GnuCOBOL Source Level Debugging
COBOLworx developed GnuCOBOL Debugging Extensions for GnuCOBOL. The
Extensions let COBOL programmers debug their programmers with the same
powerful capabilities that C programmers enjoy. You can debug programs
from the command line using
gdb from the command line or in
a graphical Integrated Development Environment (VS Code, VS Codium, or,
soon, Eclipse’s Theia).
The Extensions can:
- List COBOL statements by line number (required for command line operation),
- Set BreakPoints by COBOL line numbers,
- Print out current values of variables – VS Code and VS Codium show variables and their values in a separate column of their display during debugging,
- Modify values of variables during the debug session, and
- Watch a variable – the program stops if the value of the variable changes.
The Extensions are a free and Open Source package. They are hosted at our GitLab Server. You can download binary packages of or containing the GnuCOBOL Debugging Extensions from the Downloads page.